Shocking it is but a small toy that comes free with many chips, led to chocking of this little boy leading to his death.
A four-year-old boy in Kandivli died on Saturday night after he accidentally swallowed a toy that came free in a packet of chips. The boy’s parents said they could not reach the nearest hospital in time owing to the traffic jams cause by Durga procession in the area.
Forensic experts who investigated the case said the toy got stuck in Piyush Khushwaha’s windpipe, which obstructed airflow and resulted in asphyxiation. “We found the toy stuck inside the trachea (windpipe) of the child, with complete obstruction of the airflow to the lungs,” said the expert.
Piyush’s father Birju said his son would have turned five in December. “He had a lot of fun because we took him to local fairs and Durga Puja pandals. We were returning from one such fair on Saturday when he asked for a packet of chips,” said Birju.
He said Piyush was unattended only for ten minutes. “It was a spring toy, which went off and got stuck inside his throat. He couldn’t speak at all. For five minutes, we tried everything we could to help him cough out the toy. However, we rushed to the nursing home after our attempts failed,” Birju added.
But the Khushwahas could not find an autorickshaw owing to the Durga procession at Kurar village, Kandivli. Birju said the nearest nursing home was 3km away from their home. “I carried him [Piyush] in my arms and ran through the traffic. It took us 20 minutes to reach the nursing home. The doctors, after checking him, referred us to Sanjivani Hospital. Doctors there told us he wasn’t breathing. But we had not our hope and took him to Shatabdi Hospital,” Birju said.
A doctor from Shatabdi Hospital said they could not do much, as Piyush’s windpipe was completely blocked and caused suffocation. “In such cases, many a time there is a partial obstruction or the foreign object enters the intestine. Unfortunately, in Piyush’s case, there was a complete obstruction of the airway, which needed immediate paramedic assistance within 5-10 minutes of the incident,” the doctor said.
What to do if ever you find your child in such a trouble?
Make the child bend forward,
Encourage your child to cough on his/her own.
Follow by hard back slaps
If still the object is stuck, stand behind the child/person. Grasp him by both hands around the abdomen(stomach) and then exert pressure on the bottom of the diaphragm in form of thrusts. This compresses the lungs and exerts pressure on any object lodged in the trachea, hopefully expelling it.
In the mean time try to rush to the doctor, trying the above along the way.
And remember to keep an eye over children while they play with small toys.
Title – A title can be anything from a question, a heading of the article, or even the main topic about which you are publishing the post.
Description – It is explaining and adding the details about the topic you are posting. If you are asking a Question, then adding details is not necessary.
Photo, Video – You can attach a photo related to your post or can even publish a YOUTUBE video.
Sharing – Your name gets automatically attached behind the title of the article when you share is on Facebook or other platforms.
Eg: If a user John Watson have posted an article with the Title “How to handle Migraine without medicines?” and then if anyone share it on Facebook, the title will be like this :
“How to handle Migraine without medicines?”- John Watson
Themes of publishing or asking – You can publish from various themes that we mentioned and if any topic is missing among them, you can still post anything related to the Health. Healthcare is the only broad theme.
This data changes rapidly, so what’s shown may be out of date. Table totals may not always represent an accurate sum. Information about reported cases is also available on the World Health Organisation site.
It doesn’t include all cases
Confirmed cases aren’t all cases. They only include people who tested positive. Testing rules and availability vary by country.