Search

Gary Hall, Jr. – Know the man who won Olympic swimming Gold a year after Type1 Diabetes diagnosis

Gary Hall, Jr. – Know the man who won Olympic swimming Gold a year after Type1 Diabetes diagnosis

Gary Hall, Jr. – Someone truly inspirational, someone who defeated all the limitations of the body. Olympic swimmer Gary Hall, Jr. proved doctors wrong in 2000, a year after he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He was told that he would never again be able to compete at an Olympic level. But not just competing, that year, he took home his first individual gold medal by way of the 50-meter freestyle race. He repeated the win in 2004.

“I didn’t understand the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. I was a world-class athlete focused on health and performance. There was no family history of diabetes. Over the course of a month, I experienced the symptoms and eventually collapsed. With an unexpected diagnosis, I was told by doctors that it would be the end of my swimming career.” he said in an interview.

“Exercise is medicine. Whether you have Type 1 or Type 2, exercise is critical to managing diabetes.”

Hall then got intensely involved in efforts to cure the illness that almost curtailed his career and founded Foundation for Diabetes which supports cure-focused research, and he serves as a spokesperson for the Diabetes Research Institute [DRI].

“Diabetes doesn’t have to stand between you and your dreams, and that is why we are all here,” his words.

Gallery Images

Previous picture Next picture Close gallery

Send Your Message

or

By signing up, I agree to terms