To do if your child or you yourself swallow a coin or some object which gets stuck in the windpipe(Trachea):
Immediate steps must be taken because it can lead to chocking and even death.
1. Make the child bend forward,
2. Encourage your child to cough on his/her own.
3. Follow by hard back slaps for some time.
4. If coin do not come out and if the child is less than 1year old, then hold them in the hand, tilting downwards and press the chest.
In case of older person more than 1year:
Ask to cough and slap on the back.
1. If still the object is stuck, stand behind the child/person. Grasp him by both hands around the abdomen(stomach) and then exert pressure on the bottom of the diaphragm in form of thrusts. This compresses the lungs and exerts pressure on any object lodged in the trachea, hopefully expelling it.
2. If it is a child, use only that much force as not lift the child above the ground.
3. If there is no one around then press your abdomen by yourself to generate forceful cough.
4. In a pregnant woman, use the hands above the abdomen and below the chest.
5. If nothing works, immediately get them on the ground and press the chest with force so as to compress the lungs which may forcefully expel it.
In the meantime call the Emergency Help number or try to rush to the doctor, trying the above steps along the way.
Dr S Kaul
Share the knowledge.
Have your Account on Detcare.com and publish or share your valuable Articles/Blogs/Stories.